Death and Decay
This call for papers invites submissions on the subject of ‘Death and Decay’ for the third edition of HARTS & Minds, an online postgraduate journal for students of the Humanities and Arts, which is due to be published online in Winter 2013-14.
Submissions should adhere to the guidelines available on our website. You can either send us an abstract (approximately 300 words in length) and a completed article (no longer than 6000 words) OR you may provide an abstract (300 words) and a synopsis outlining the structure and argument of your intended article (approximately 1500-2000 words).
You must use the article template available on our website to format your article. All submissions should be sent with an academic CV to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday 4th October.
Subjects may include but are not limited to the following:
– Rituals and rites of the dead in various cultures
– Burial practices
– Death and dying in literatures
– Visual Death; in art, photography, illustration, in film and television, on stage
– Death personified: the Grim Reaper, Yama & Lord of Naraka, Hel, Hades etc.
– The geography of death; real or mythological
– Disease, decay, apocalypse
– The undead, reincarnation, immortality
– The death of discourse, language, the author, God
– Death as taboo
– War and death
– The future of death in a posthuman world.
– Death of Language
– Moral death
– Death: presence and absence
– Afterlife, textual afterlives.
– Hauntings, the undead, vampires, zombies.
– The value of Death: what makes a justified or honourable death?
– Dirt and debris, Wrecks and ruins, Flotsam and Jetsam
– Fear of death
– Elegy, Obituary, the Funeral March, Eulogy
– Monuments, Memorials and the Archive
– Suicide, both literal and metaphorical.
Please consider that HARTS & Minds is intended as a truly inter-disciplinary journal and therefore esoteric topics will need to be written with a general academic readership in mind.