Call for Papers
Sideways in Time: Alternate History and Counterfactual Narratives
Following a highly successful two day international conference on alternate history held at the University of Liverpool and organised in conjunction with Lancaster University, the conference organisers are now seeking to supplement extended conference papers with other work in order to publish an essay collection which represents the diversity and depth of alternate history and counterfactual narrative scholarship.
Applicants should submit 500 word abstracts, a 100 word bionote, and a CV (no more than two pages in length). Please also include a list of any images you may require for your publication; it will be the author’s responsibility to secure appropriate copyright permissions for any materials included.
Final papers will be approximately 6000 words in length, although proposals for papers which are both shorter and longer will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Successful applicants will be used as part of a book proposal to an academic publisher with the intention of being included in the final collection, edited by the conference organisers Glyn Morgan (University of Liverpool) and Charul Patel (Lancaster University).
Whilst any paper on the topic of alternate history and/or counterfactual narratives will be considered, the organisers are particularly interested in abstracts for papers on the following:
- The history of, or historical, alternate histories
- Alternate history from outside of Britain and the USA, particularly non-English speaking cultures
- Alternate histories by, or about, non-cisgender communities or individuals
- Alternate histories by female authors and/or ones which engage with feminist issues
- Papers which otherwise connect, or challenge a connection of, alternate history to another literary genre, social issue, literary theory, ideology, or discipline.
- Alternate history outside of the novel: tv, film, graphic novels, short fiction, etc…
Deadline for abstracts: September 1st 2015, at which point a book proposal will be submitted with the aim of receiving full papers in early 2016 and publishing the collection later that year following a blind peer-review process.
Please submit abstracts and queries to firstname.lastname@example.org